Let’s lighten the load! Each year our children have complained about how heavy their school bags are. Heavy and improper fitting backpacks can cause posture issues and unnecessary pain for your child.
Here are some key points to keep in mind.
Start with an Ergonomic Backpack:
- Do not let the bag hang more than 4 inches from the waist
- Padded backpacks and straps help to distribute weight
- Multiple compartments help with weight distribution
- Waist or Chest straps help to offload weight from the back
Use it correctly:
- Wear shoulder straps on each shoulder
- Do not let backpack dangle more than 4 inches below the waist
- Load the heaviest items first, closest to the bottom and center of the bag
- Be sure the bag and contents are no more than 10-15% of a child's bodyweight
- Go through the pack frequently. Remove unneeded objects; the weight adds up quickly
One fine body…