Mental Health…why is it so important?
Successful mental health results in fulfilling relationships, productive activities, and being able to adapt/cope with challenges.
Recently, there has been a surge of mental health challenges. The pandemic itself has caused additional stress, loss of jobs and changes in family life/daily routine.
Physical activity greatly impacts your mental well being. Some mental illnesses and disorders such as anxiety or depression can hinder our ability to partake in health-promoting behaviors.
How can I improve my mental health?
- Talk about your feelings, even through difficult times.
- Keep active. Activity improves self-esteem, concentration, sleep and it increases your feel good hormones.
- Your are what you eat! You brain needs nutrients to function well and stay healthy.
- K.I.T. Keep In Touch with your friends/family. Staying connected keeps communication lines open.
- Ask for help. We are not superhuman. It is okay to ask for help when feeling overwhelmed or overworked.
- Take a break. Change up the scenery inside or outside the home. Go to a park, take a walk, enjoy nature.
- Do something you’re good at; it helps boost self-esteem.
- Drink sensibly. Alcohol can be used as a crutch to deal with fear or loneliness. The effect is only temporary. Reach out for help with your emotions.
- Accept who you are. You are unique. Own it and be proud of what makes you-you.
- Care for others. "Friends help friends" is how the saying goes. Remember that is a two-way street. Support a friend in need and uplift their moral.